Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trains, buses, and automobiles






So I've nearly been in Sweden a week, and I absolutely love it! I am enjoying the snow, even though I have to walk in slush. I am not missing the rain back home whatsoever. This has been such an experience so far. Well, to start off...

Saturday, I met my student mentor at my hotel lobby. We then took the train to the school. We had to haul all my luggage in the slush... try to imagine. We first had to "sign in" and get my room keys and such. Then the lady told us it was a little more than a mile to my apartment. So I'm thinking, are you serious?! Then she said, "you may want to take the bus." So we chose that route. I was glad that it took us.. oh, about half way, but not really even that close. So we had to trek it up hills...I had to stop who knows how many times to readjust my belongings and take a breath. Thankfully, Tobias helped pull one of my suitcases! So I just had my huge carry-on backpack, laptop, and other suitcase to tote. Just imagine. What a great cardio workout I hadn't even planned for. Anywho, after several hills and breaks to catch our breaths, we made it up there. I felt like such a wimp because I was way behind Tobias for a while.

Anywho, so orientation started on Sunday, and as you'd expect, it was boring. We all introduced ourselves. It was so neat to hear the other dialects and languages... people were from Finland, France, Germany, Mexico, about 8 of us were from the States, Poland, ...and I'm sure more, just can't think. I actually met TWO girls from TENNESSEE! Can you believe that? Crazy, I know. They're both from Knoxville.

I got a bus pass and I've been able to be in and out of the city a bunch as well as small towns nearby where I live. :) I've mostly been traveling by myself, but it is so great to have nice Swedish people to tell me how to get places. I was able to meet Lisa, a Swedish lady I met before leaving the states.. we had dinner and such. She just flew back to Johnson City today. She's actually coming back to visit her family here again in June, which is awesome because I'll still be here. She's such a sweet lady!

This week has flown by! I start class on Monday, Sweden: Culture and Society. Yeah, we'll see how that goes. :) A bunch of my new friends are in the class, too, which is nice. Anyways, I'm sorry to say that I'm tired of writing, but... I'm tired of writing. I'll post again soon.

Hej då (Swedish goodbye)

2 comments:

  1. Yay~ so great to hear how things are going! We are enjoying reading all about your adventures! Miss you! S, D, J and E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you should set up Skype. I need to have a date with the kids sometime! :) I want to catch up and see how things are going in their life! Let me know if you create an account and send me a message via facebook or something. It is so hard to keep up a blog when I'm always on the run!

    ReplyDelete